RE: null columns and memory?

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:25:13 -0600

There may be a question of context here as well.

So long as we are talking about database blocks, the block will look
identical whether it happens to reside on disk or in RAM.  If and when
you have a chunk of PL/SQL code that declares a VARCHAR2 (<2000) in
order to read data from that block so you can act upon it
programmatically, however, Oracle will reserve a chunk of memory for
that local variable that is the maximum size it can attain..

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:15426
06219593

Justin Cave

Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.