Re: not including temp neither undo tablespace in full backup

  • From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:28:19 +0200

Well... normally one takes backup to be able to recover from failure.
Why would you need to recover from any kind of shutdown?
I think everyone assumed you are doing online backup. If you do
offline backup than what you say MIGHT work and you can recreate undo
tablespace.
But anyway... why bother and ignore standard bulletproof solutions?

2005/10/12, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Thanks Mark, but in my database with about  less than 20 users, can be
> acceptable, remember I have a very small databases. About 2-6 gigas.
>
> On 10/12/05, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hmm...a normal shutdown?  How long is that going to take?  (Has anyone
> > ever really used normal shutdown for anything useful?? ;-))
> >
> > On any moderately busy database, you could be waiting indefinitely for a
> > normal shutdown.  (All it takes is one user to go home and not log out.)
> > you may be better off with a "shutdown transactional".
> >
> > But, why bother?  Just follow the standard best practices, and don't
> > worry so much about your backups.  Always backup all datafiles, but
> > never tempfiles or on-line redo, and use the 'alter database backup
> > controlfile ...' command to make a backup copy of your controlfile.
> >
> > -Mark

Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev