RE:

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:30:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Mercadante, Thomas F"
<thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> I don't see why Oracle even provides this type of
> backup (database in
> mount-only mode using Rman).  To me, if I was
> considering this, I would just
> shut the database down and perform a cold backup.
> Using Rman in this
> situation is a waste of time (unless someone can
> give me a good reason why
> it is useful).
>
> Rman's biggest strength is point in time recovery,
> and that the db is up and
> available all the time.
>
> Anything else just seems like a waste to me - no
> practicality to it.
>
> Tom Mercadante
> Oracle Certified Professional

Tom,

1. block checking (inline). don't need to run dbv.
2. doesn't backup blocks that have not been written
to.
3. operation is in the controlfile (or rman catalog).
4. not platform-specific.

we've got some development dbs that are running in
noarchivelog for the time being, so full rman backups
while mounted is the way to go for them for now.

Pd