RE:

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:19:04 -0400

Dennis,

I don't see why Oracle even provides this type of backup (database in
mount-only mode using Rman).  To me, if I was considering this, I would just
shut the database down and perform a cold backup.  Using Rman in this
situation is a waste of time (unless someone can give me a good reason why
it is useful).

Rman's biggest strength is point in time recovery, and that the db is up and
available all the time.

Anything else just seems like a waste to me - no practicality to it.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

From: <jtesta@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, June 4, 2004 12:52 pm
To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dennis, one small clarification, you can do incremental rman backups in
noarchivelogmode but the difference being you can only restore to the last
rman backup(you'd have ot restore to the last level 0 and then apply
incrementals) and never be able to get to point of failure.  Since a
noarchivelogmode database has to be shutdown, you'd be at a clean spot for
recovery(and rman is smart enough to not let you do a backup with a shutdown
abort as the last thing since the db has to be in mount state anyways), last
i checked, its been about 6 months since i played with rman.

joe

original message below

 Hamid
    If you are thinking that incremental export would just export the
> new
 rows in a table. It doesn't. It just detects tables that have changed
since the last export and exports those tables.
    As Joe points out, RMAN can do incremental backups, but you must
> have
 Enterprise Edition and run in archivelogmode.
   If you want just part of a table, you could do something better on  your
own. Since 8i export has a parameter QUERY. If you have a timestamp  column
for when a table is inserted or updated, then you could do a  partial export
of the table for just the new or changed rows. Again, I  have done exports
with the QUERY parameter, but haven't designed an  incremental backup system
based on that.

 Dennis Williams
 DBA
 Lifetouch, Inc.