*nix vs MS

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@Freelists. Org (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:58:30 -0400

Everyone,

We have a fairly large, truly mission critical database (Oracle
9.2.0.6) at a remote site that is currently running on Microsoft.  In
the past, others have tried to convince mgmt that the system would be
more reliable on a unix os, but no one has ever been successful in
obtaining a project to make the change.

To my way of thinking, the strongest case for moving this database to
unix is the track record of this application; it has had far more than
it's share of issues (bad backups, system crashes, corrupt blocks,
hung processes, cpu spikes and so on) even though it already gets more
care and feeding than other databases. (majority of our databases are
*nix)  This is one aspect of what will be presented.

That being said, for those of you who prefer unix, what are your best
arguments for choosing unix for an Oracle database? What are the
drawbacks?  We'd like to make sure we uncover all the pros and cons.

Any input is appreciated,

Robyn

--
Robyn Anderson Sands