RE: new asm disks

  • From: "Lawie, Duncan" <duncan.lawie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Randy.Steiner@xxxxxxxx'" <Randy.Steiner@xxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:26:56 -0400

Randy,

Mixing different sized disks is not great practice if that is how you want to
run.  Ideally they will end up the same percent full ...

 1* select name, total_mb, free_mb, 100*free_mb/total_mb pct_free
     from v$asm_disk where group_number = 3
SQL> /

NAME                    TOTAL_MB    FREE_MB   PCT_FREE
--------------------- ---------- ---------- ----------
DATA1                      34851      25166 72.2102666
DATA2                      69711      50361 72.2425442

but you can get problems where they don't balance evenly.

However, if your intent is a straight swap, I would feel reasonably confident
in adding the new disks, allow the rebalance to get going, then dropping the
old disks.

(Mostly because it allows you to avoid the whole pain associated with your
second question.)

HTH,
Duncan.

  _____