Re: mysql

  • From: Walt Weaver <weaver1308@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle_l <ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:02:38 -0600

On Apr 4, 2005 12:54 PM, stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2005 7:11 PM, David <thump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What are the largest pros and cons involved in discussing mysql versus
> > Oracle?
>
> MySQL doesn't have the recoverability features of Oracle, you lose a
> disk and you've lost everything since the last backup.

Not true. MySQL binlogs are similar to Oracle redo logs and can be
used for point-in-time recovery. We have over 200 MySQL databases
running 4.x with binlogs and replication and have experienced no data
loss from server crashes.

> MySQL scaling is a joke.

It certainly isn't in Oracle's league as far as scalaility is concerned.

> Stephen

--Walt Weaver
   Bozeman, Montana