RE: multipathing, AMSLIB and HBA

  • From: "Fahrenfort, Keith (PSS Americas Oracle)" <keith.fahrenfort@xxxxxx>
  • To: <sosoracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:38:34 -0500

Hi Cindy, ASM and ASMLib currently have no multipathing capability.

So to remove the Single Point of Failure storage connectivity per
server, you need to provide at least two paths to that storage, and
storage multipathing software that can manage those paths. Storage
multipathing software is either a free or for-fee product - you are
limited to what the storage vendor supports/certifies with RAC.

I recommend at least two single-port HBA's per server, although some
people seem ok recommending one dual-port HBA per server. Both options
allow two paths to the storage, although if you lose a single dual-port
HBA, you lose both storage paths it provides.

Hope this helps! Keith

Please let me know if you prefer to not receive email from me.

For HP's privacy policy and contact information, please see here -
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/privacy.html