Re: multi-home servers

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:22:00 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Niall,

> those of you out there running multiple oracle homes, potentially with
> multiple oracle software owners and certainly with multiple listeners on
> Linux. How do you control db and listener startup at boot time? dbstart
> seems entirely inadequate.

I turn it off completely.  I ran into a hardware issue once upon a time that
caused the server to crash -- very likely without syncing -- then bounce
constantly over night.  While the DB was spared, I was concerned that there
could have been damage to the physical files should the crash happen during
startup or operation.  So I turned off autostart completely.

It's good review for me to make sure I can restart Oracle, even the somewhat
more complex all-on-one-box Grid Control.  It helps validate my
documentation.  And the few times per decade that I need to reboot, it's not
really that much trouble.  Being a paranoid control-freak DBA, I much much
much prefer a manual startup.

My $0.02 (backed by .00001176 oz of gold),
Rich