Re: move 9i r2 database on host 1 to 10g r1 on another host

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sundarmahadevan82@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 22:33:08 +0200

Sundar,

does host1 and host2 have the same OS and CPU-family?
In this case you just can copy the database and upgrade it.

br
 Martin

Hi All,

Many Thanks to Robert Freeman, Mark Bobak, Dick Goulet for helping me out on my previous question on incomplete recovery. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to resolve the issue as another DBA is currently working on it. So I cannot give any updates on it currently.

I'm running a test environment. The test database is small. I would like to move/migrate 9i r2 database on host 1 to 10g r1 on host 2. 9i r2 and 10g r1 are the software versions on host 1 and 2 respectively. I would like to receive suggestions on how to do this. My ideas are as follows: Create a new database on 10g r1 with the same name as test database on 9i r2 and export the tablespaces from host 1(9i r2) and import it in newly created database using transport_tablespace on host 2(10g r1). To my knowledge an export from 9i r2 will be compatible in 10g r1. Any help is greatly appreciated. Can the same step be followed for large databases? If not what would be procedure for large databases? Thanks in advance.