Re: missing alert.log mystery (it's not what you think)

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 13:37:46 -0500

Wolfgang,

*grin* The mount holding the diag directory structure is not full, nor has
it been for some time. I have indeed checked elsewhere for the alert.log. In
fact, I even did a massive 'find /u01 -type f -exec grep -iln <unique redo
log name> {} \;', and that did not show me any suspect files.

To others that asked questions privately, the ownership/permissions of the
files and directories have not changed to my knowledge. Other alert.logs in
the same diag directory hierarchy (obviously under their own $SID) are
active and updated by the respective databases. The trace directory in
question is constantly updated with other trace files (ie, background
process traces, user traces) - just not the alert.log.

Of course, the analyst handling my SR ("SR 3-3591317751: missing alert.log"
for those that can/like to look at such things) went off-shift sometime
Friday, so I have no updates from that direction. I am cross-posting this
question to the Oracle Communities (sorry for those that read this twice)
but no hits there, yet.

My biggest fear is that I am totally missing the most obvious thing (ie,
fat-fingering the name of the alert.log I am looking at *grin*), but I feel
pretty confident I double- (and triple-) checked most stupid mistakes. But
one never knows....

--
Charles Schultz