Re: materialized views and ORDER BY

  • From: "Greg Norris" <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:47:37 -0500

On 4/25/07, Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

MV data are stored just like table data. Oracle never ever guaranteed
that someone will get back rows in any particular order from tables.
That's also true for MVs. So if you need to get data from MVs ordered
the only guaranteed approach is to add order by clause.

Believe me, I understand... I've come across the "you don't need to use
ORDER BY" meme many times.  My developers position was that MVs are just
another type of view, and should therefore behave the same... I wasn't able
to convince him otherwise until I (finally) located the portion of
documentation which covers that exact scenario.  Thankfully, order has been
restored (pun most definitely intended!). :p

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.