RE: making graphical reports from oracle metrics

  • From: "Lawie, Duncan" <duncan.lawie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jpremhere@xxxxxxxxxxx, tanel@xxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:57:16 -0000

Prem,

I used Orca to produce an Oracle performance recording tool (
http://www.hoopoes.com/cs/orca/ ).  Orca does all the heavy lifting; my
piece extracts data from Statspack/AWR into the space-separated format
needed.  This is all Open Source, so you are free to re-use for your
situation.

RRDTool is at the heart of Orca, and is great if you are satisfied with
the long-term diminuition of precision necessary to keep datasets to a
fixed size.  It does allow you to keep long term trend records whilst
disposing of old data from your database in a sensible fashion.

If the data is something you expect to keep in an Oracle database, then
Perl's DBI would be my tool of choice, but that's because I already know
how to use it :-).

Cheers,
Duncan.