Re: looks like some web developers are getting back into 4GL environment...

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:42:08 +0000

On 11/18/05, amwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx <amwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I suspect many on this list may have a problem with some of the attitudes
> surrounding this particular methodology.

 Including me, certainly the soundbites around it suggest someone inventing
something new before understanding something old.
 I did like the quote from the article though (emphasis mine)
 "His software, Ruby on Rails, only out for a little more than a year, has
started a buzz among the legions of
developers<http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.technorati.com%2Fsearch%2Fruby%2Bon%2Brails&siteId=3&oId=2100-1007-5920169&ontId=1001&lop=nl.ex>and
high-level executives that track
*the trend-driven world of software development. "*

To be fair though, the software seems deliberately aimed at the small scale,
non mission critical web environments that litter the place today, I nearly
said the LAMP market, but there is an ASP equivalent in the windows world.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA