RE: looking for doc with diagrams on redo and undo for java developers

  • From: "Karen Morton" <karen.morton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:04:01 -0700

Here's a simple example to illustrate.

Given the following:
Table t has 80,000 rows
 1,600 rows have flag = 'A' where status = 2
78,400 rows have flag = 'B' where status = 2

UPDATE statement:
update t
   set flag='B'
 where status=2;

Generates 19M of redo and runs in 4.53 seconds.

If you change the statement to:
update t
   set flag='B'
 where status=2
   and flag != 'B';

Generates 500K of redo and runs in .83 seconds.

(Tests done on Windows XP with version 9.2.0.4)

Doing any work that you don't absolutely need to do is waste.  The best
way to improve response time and to make your application more scalable:
don't do anything you don't need to do.

Karen Morton
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com