RE: lock_sga error

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:54:10 -0700

lock_sga is an OSD init.ora param...it only means something
at the port level.. for instance lock_sga was implemented on the
DYNIX/ptx port, but use_ism was implemented on Sol instead...
Either way, the hope is that the OS complements this param
with shared page tables and hard-locked SysV SHMEM...
neither of which really related to Linux much.

Are you sure you can boot of that init.ora file even with lock_sga
commented out?

Now, if you want your shared memory to stay resident (novel
concept, I know, but it is a bit new to linux) you have to
fiddle around with HUGE_TLB and so on. Also, if using
indirect_data_buffers, you will need to use ramfs over
shmfs because the latter is pageable ...