local naming vs directory naming

  • From: "Li Li" <litanli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:39:01 -0500

Hi List,

Anybody using directory naming here?

We have about 30 databases and use local naming and most clients are
configured to share 1 tnsnames.ora file on a shared file server. I was
tasked to look into directory naming to see if we need to implement
it. I have spent some time reading "Oracle(R) Database Net Services
Administrator's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2)" and got a few questions:

1. with around 30 databases, is it worth implementing directory naming?
2. We use Active Directory and majority of our database servers are on
Unix/Linux, based on the above document, we cannot use Active
Directory, instead we have to use OID. If we do implement directory
naming, do we need to synchronize AD and OID? if so, how?
3. In directory naming, you specify NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(ldap) in
sqlnet.ora file, how does the client find where the directory server
is?

Any help or pointing me to the correct document to read would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Li