RE: listener for external procedure

  • From: Feighery Raymond <Raymond.Feighery@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:54:42 -0000

David
It depends on the version. Extproc is used in 8.1.7 and 9i in interMedia. In
9i, many formats are handled without extproc using java in the database.

If you do need to run the extproc listener, patch your security. Don't
configure the standard Oracle Listener to use extproc. Instead have two
listeners and ensure that the Oracle Listener created for PL/SQL EXTPROC
runs as an unprivileged OS user (e.g., "nobody" on Unix).

Good Metalink article on this at Oracle Security Alert #57
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_datab
ase_id=NOT&p_id=244523.1

Ray