Re: linux memory: limiting filesystem caching

  • From: zhu chao <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:55:55 +0800

Hi,
  Actually system has been down for almost one year and I have lost
the statistics. I remember I checked SAR log  to compare user%, SYS%
CPU usage. I can't find significant difference.
  As for memory, I check free log (I have cronjob to report memory
usage to log file). My system used middleware and we don't have often
connect-disconnect behavior.  I don't have system hung (once actually
during the 2 year's this RAC system lifecycle, unknown reason, 7445
and system panic). We don't do heavy filesystem IO operation. I have
1.7GB sga and 4GB physical memory.

>and if your sessions
> are touching the entire SGA,

I don't understand this. Every session, would access the whole SGA on
its session creation. right?

I was the very early user of oracle 9.2 RAC user and did play some
so-called tuning at OS level, painfully I did not see much performance
gain, including those network, kernel parameter tuning. One
significant thing is max open file must be increased else when session
connections high, oracle unable to open file.

--
Regards
Zhu Chao