Re: licensing/multiple RDBMS on same host

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:11:18 +0200

The final and official answer should be asked from Oracle, of course.
I'd download the SIG (Software Investment Guide) from OTN. It gives you
quite some insight in e.g. the Named User Plus licensing stuff.
My opnion:

It is totally legal to run two instances on the same box, as long as you
either:
(
- bought your licenses for the number of Named Users Plus (IIRC you may
even run Oracle on two boxes and users may connect to both of them, as
long as you have payed a named-user-plus license for each user. So, a
company with 10 employees can buy ten Named-User-Plus licenses and run
ten instances on ten boxes, each user using all 10, resulting in 100
connections)
OR
- payed for the number of CPU's in all the Oracle boxes.
)
AND
- of course, you payed the annual software-upgrade supportfee to get the
10g upgrade.

It's quite normal not updating two applications/databases on the same
box at the same day. You will run different versions during this upgrade
process. I don't see license issues running them together on a single
box. It is not allowed to run 10g on a new box and keep 9i alive on the
old one.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===