Re: license

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:24:25 -0600

OEM requires partitioning?  News to me, but then I have not installed OEM
for a while.

I have long known that OEM requires "Fine Grain Security", which is an
Enterprise Edition option, so as of 10g you cannot install OEM under a
Standard Edition license.

It turns out that it (probably) doesn't matter though.  The Oracle 10g
Licensing Manual  (and now 11g) is apparently incorporated by reference into
the standard Oracle license agreement.  (Note:  I said "apparently".)
Assuming this is correct, the "Licensing Manual" is just as relevant as any
other part of the license agreement.  If memory serves, the "Licensing
Manual" includes a clear statement that Oracle provides a
freerestricted-use license for Oracle Enterprise Edition, for the sole
purpose
of supporting repositories for OEM and/or RMAN.  This does, however,
presuppose that you have at least one valid database license to begin with,
I imagine.

Perhaps this is what you mean by "according to their doc".  But then, if the
"Licensing Manual" is included as part of your license agreement, chances
are the rest of the Oracle (and Peoplesoft!) documentation set is, too!

Give that some thought!  :-)

On 9/13/07, Kerber, Andrew W. <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Should be interesting to see how they handle oem installations then,
> which according to their doc don't require a separate license but do
> require partitioning.

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
   Senior DBA,