Re: is it possible in pl/sql?

Gosh, the original programmer was somewhat confused about what they are doing
and/or coding in general and/or coding in pl/sql.

Try something like this:

DECLARE
  CURSOR c_user_tables  IS
  SELECT table_name FROM mytables ;
  stmnt VARCHAR2(4000);
BEGIN
  FOR x  IN c_user_tables  LOOP
    stmnt := 'UPDATE myTables SET new_rows = '
                   || '(SELECT COUNT(1) '
                   || 'FROM ' || x.table_name || ') '
                   || 'WHERE table_name = ''' || x.table_name || '''';
    EXECUTE IMMEDIATE stmnt;
  END LOOP;
END;
/

I leave it to you to handle the situation where a table name is in mytables
that doesn't exist or the user doesn't have update access to it or is missing
the synonym to it.

See my inline comments about the original code.