RE: is IPC really faster than TCPIP?

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:37:28 -0500

In the note I sent a few hours ago, I mentioned a 50x number. This is =
we saw one place. Your mileage may vary, but it's easy to test. You can =
your raw IPC vs TCP/IP performance by writing a small test in sqlplus =
makes a million database calls. Time a run of it connected through an =
where PROTOCOL=3DIPC. Time another run of it connected through an alias =
PROTOCOL=3DTCP. Compare and contrast the results.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 Charlotte, 10/26
- SQL Optimization 101: 9/20 Hartford, 10/18 New Orleans
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit for schedule details...