RE: interesting snippet from Oracle FUD paper

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <peter.robson@xxxxxxxxx>, <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:40:03 -0500

    I cam remember a conversation with a PeopleSoft Apps developer on
this subject.  He stated that "The App is much more efficient at
maintaining the foreign key referential integrity and business logic
than the database.".  That held a touch of water until the 'app'  fouled
up and we ended up with a Bill of Materials that had no product it was
used for.  At that point we discovered that the real reason for no
referential integrity is that they do things in reverse so that the RI
would get in the way.  Programming dilemma fixed by crippling the DB.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA