From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Andrew Kerber
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:25 PM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: instance_groups=<instance name>

I recently inherited some Peoplesoft databases, and I noted this setting for
instance_groups:

instance_groups=<instance_name>,

These are 10gR2 on windows that we are preparing to migrate to 11gr2 on Linux.
According to the documentation, this value was suggested by Oracle Support to
prevent parallel query from running on other instances.  Can we accomplish the
same things just by setting the instances value to 1 at the table level?

Also, wouldn't the 11g parameter parallel_force_local accomplish the same
purpose?

--
Andrew W. Kerber