RE: install PHP ..

  • From: "Ellis R. Miller" <sartre1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:58:34 -0600

If you run into any specific issues relative to installing PHP in your
environment just check the OTN FAQ (part of link that David sent) and
especially search the OTN Forums. I found the OTN forums regarding PHP
troubleshooting to be invaluable in some cases.

In particular, I HAD to set the following env variables in the Apache 2
httpd.conf file (C:\Apache2\conf\httpd.conf in my case):

# Set PHP related environmental variables
SetEnv ORACLE_HOME "C:/Oracle/product/10.1.0/Client_1"
SetEnv TNS_ADMIN   "C:/Oracle/product/10.1.0/Client_1/network/admin"
SetEnv ORACLE_SID  "ORCLDEV"

# For PHP5
# configure the path to php.ini
PHPIniDir "C:/php"

Again, the TNS_ADMIN env variable was noted by several Oracle PHP guys (they
were really men in this case I am not just being sexist) as having to be set
even if your environment is already set via your .profile, Windows registry,
etc. The other two I threw in for good measure as it was mentioned in a
forum or another site, blah, blah. Please note I am running Apache 2 and PHP
5 on my Windows 2000 desktop hence the "C:/..." path. Regardless, same point
was referenced with regard to PHP 5, Apache 2 (including Oracle Apache
installation) running on UNIX (Solaris).

Before testing/troubleshooting the Oracle database connectivity try putting
a file named phpinfo.php in your default docs directory i.e.
C:\Apache2\htdocs\phpinfo.php:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

...then do yea old: http://localhost:80/phpinfo.php

All the above phpinfo.php script does is generate a listing of your current
PHP/web server settings but it is a VERY IMPORTANT check to verify PHP 5 and
Apache 2 are configured properly. If this doesn't work there is no point in
spending hours trying to troubleshoot or configure the connection to Oracle,
of course.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Ellis