Re: incremental backups

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:40:48 -0600

I think he has a point that too long a chain of incremental backups could
create a problem. Of course, you could return to an earlier backup if you
have the archive logs.
   RMAN offers several levels of backups if you want a combination of
incremental backups so you don't get too long a chain of incremental
   The backup architecture for an instance must be designed to meet the
business requirements of that instance (recoverability, downtime window,
etc.). Hard to make immutable rules. Fortunately Oracle offers choices.

Dennis Williams

On 3/2/07, ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 I spoke to someone I know who has been a dba for 20 years. He is opposed
to using incremental backups. This is his rationale. He says that it takes
longer to apply incremental backups, plus its one more file that can be

however, I would assume most larger systems cannot take a full backup as
often as you can take an incremental backup so you have to apply more redo.
Is this a better option than applying incremental backupsets?