RE: incremental backups

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:19:42 -0700

He's right that it is one more file and it takes longer, but everything
is a trade-off.  Full backups take more time, more backup space and more
network bandwidth if you're backing up over a network than incrementals,
plus require much more I/O on your production database (compared to
incrementals with change-tracking file in 10g).  Applying an incremental
will certainly be faster than applying a bunch of redo, but not as fast
as starting with a more recent full backup.  In 10g there is also the
option of incrementally updated backups - a hybrid that is probably the
best of both worlds if I understand it correctly but I haven't actually
tested it yet.  I wouldn't worry too much about the incremental backup
getting corrupted, shouldn't be a frequent occurrence - not any more
likely than your full backup or archive log backups getting corrupted.
I've been using incrementals for years and love them.

Regards,
Brandon