Re: impdp with encryption on different source/target

  • From: "Stefan Knecht" <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cemail_219@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:34:23 +0100

There  is no connection between the encryption that takes place in the
export dumpfile and the encryption in the database tables.

The master protects the keys used to encrypt column data (one key per table
if I recall correctly).

When you're exporting encrypted columns, per default they're written to the
dumpfile in plaintext form. To avoid this, you can supply the
encryption_password parameter, which will cause the data to be stored
encrypted (and protected solely by your password, no connection to the
master key there).

When you're importing the datafile, wether it contains encrypted data or
not, the data can be imported into encrypted columns or plaintext columns.
The encryption inside the new database is controlled by the master key of
the new database. Should your dumpfile be encrypted with a password, you'll
have to supply that password upon import to be able to decrypt  the data.
Again, there's no connection to the master key of the new database there.

See
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_export.htm#sthref79

Cheers

Stefan