Re: how to verify current_schema?

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 03:10:26 +0200

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> There are several ways to do it:
> $ sqlplus /
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Wed May 12 20:11:39 2004
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>

> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
>
> SQL> select sys_context('USERENV','SESSION_USER') from dual;
>
> SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','SESSION_USER')
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------OPS$MGOGALA
>
> SQL> show user
> USER is "OPS$MGOGALA"
> SQL> select user from dual;
>
> USER
> ------------------------------
> OPS$MGOGALA
>
> SQL>
> SQL> !whoami
> mgogala
>
> SQL>
>
> Also, you can do the following:
> begin
> DBMS_RTFM('CURRENT USER','USERNAME');
> end;
> /
>
> If you execute the procedure correctly, you'll get the desired result.

Mladen,

 Sorry to have to say that, but you need to give a look to your beloved
manuals yourself. There is a difference between the current user, who
determines what to you are allowed to do (although that in some old
Oracle 7 version ... but I am erring) and the current schema, ie
basically who is the default owner of the objects you reference when you
don't specify this owner name explicitly. By default, the current schema
IS the current user. But afterwards they can live independent lives.
Jacques' was the correct answer.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult