Re: how to update a long data type

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dba DBA" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:04:55 +0200

        I'd rather look for single/double quotes in the string.

        Looks like the SQL parser getting out of phase.

        HTH

        SF  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;
}
 On Thu 3/06/10 16:36 , Dba DBA oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx sent:
   I am not allowed to change some long data types to clobs. I asked
and was told no. This is pretty old, so when I google it I don't see
much.    I have a table with a long and I need to update that field
(I also tried inserting the record into a test table). It appears
that the data I have to update or insert is over 4k and when I do it
I get:   ora-00972 identifier too long.   When I google that error,
it is normally if your column name is too long. How did people put
large amounts of data into longs? I have not used them in years.    I
made a test table and tried to insert it and got the same error.    DB
Version: 10.1.0.3. Also tried it in an 11.1.0.7 DB.