Re: how to update a long data type

  • From: Alisher Yuldashev <yuldashev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:54:46 -0400

Hi,

Can you show your commands that raise the error?
The following example works fine.

declare
 v_long long;
begin
 for i in 1..5000
 loop
   v_long:=v_long||i;
 end loop;
 insert into avail.long_tab values (1,v_long);
 for i in 5001..6000
 loop
   v_long:=v_long||i;
 end loop;
 update avail.long_tab set name=v_long where n=1;
end;
/

Thanks,

Alisher Yuldashev
Senior Oracle DBA
www.pythian.com

Dba DBA wrote:
I am not allowed to change some long data types to clobs. I asked and was told no. This is pretty old, so when I google it I don't see much. I have a table with a long and I need to update that field (I also tried inserting the record into a test table). It appears that the data I have to update or insert is over 4k and when I do it I get: ora-00972 identifier too long. When I google that error, it is normally if your column name is too long. How did people put large amounts of data into longs? I have not used them in years. I made a test table and tried to insert it and got the same error. DB Version: 10.1.0.3. Also tried it in an 11.1.0.7 DB.