RE: how to evaluate optimizer_index_caching

  • From: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:36:21 +0100

Bernard

> Rather you need to know what the required service level
> is and how much it is worthwhile to spend to achieve it
> in whole or in part.

I completely agree with Mark on that point. In fact the effort involved
in an optimization task should always be compensated from the benefit
you can expect from it! And for benefit, I mean the benefit for your
business, not for you as DBA ;-)

Therefore, IMHO, you should consider good all execution plans that you
are not aware of, because nobody questioned them (i.e. nobody complained
for sub-optimal performance). This means, optimal from the point of view
described in the previous paragraph, not because the execution plan
provides the best way to run a specific SQL statement.

HTH
Chris