Re: how to clone database to different DB name use RMAN (No duplicate or exp/imp)

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 17:37:47 -0300

Short answer: no

long answer: no, rman restore restores the database to the same
DBID/DBNAME/SID (I may be wrong in one of those, it's been a while since I
tried that). You will need to then change them using nid utility. RMAN
backup restores were not designed to duplicate databases, that's what the
DUPLICATE command is for.

If you are using a new server, then it shouldn't be a problem to restore to
the original name and then change the name, the only place where I've seen
this be a problem is when duplicating the DB to the same server, and even
then you just use "duplicate" which is easier...

hth
Alan.-