Re: how do you handle your DDL builds?

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:57:06 +0300

Use TOAD or any other tool that can create DDL from database objects
and compare schema in two database.

1) Use a small database with structure only, After making changes rebuild the whole table there and use TOAD to compare the structures. 2) After applying your changes you simply use TOAD to generate scripts from the newly changed objects.

In my opinion you needs this only if you do fresh installs of your objects, like a product that you sell. For internal use, you can alway do export, structure only, and load this into a new database.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Rick Ricky wrote:
We have a production database. We want to change tables, structure, etc... We do this frequently. How do you script this? So far I have been using upgrade directories.
upgrade
     version1
     version2

However, this leaves me with a problem. I can do an add column to a table in version1, but then I have to change my base DDL of the table, but how do I know that table works? Where would I test that my new create table statement works? You can do all this manually, but its slow, time consuming, and prone to bugs.