RE: how do you do this. (philosophy and politics)

  • From: "Steve Ollig" <sollig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:03:59 -0500

> 1. how do you define business tasks?

I think the definition of the business tasks is something any business manager
should be able to do.  It's why she exists after all - to manage the completion
of said tasks.  She should also be capable of prioritizing them.  I'd let the
business define & prioritize the tasks.  Perhaps use a process similar to the
way you define requirements for a project.

> 2. how do you monitor them?

As Cary is so good at pointing out, response time is best the answer.  More
specifically you break them down and monitor response time as granularly as you
need to (sufficient drill-down data).  The tasks with the longest response
times are the ones with the most opportunity for improvement.  It might be nice
to put a dollar value on response time like you suggest.  But I think cost or
revenue impact has more to do with the importance of the task than monitoring
the SLA.  Cost & Revenue impact would also have a lot to do with the potential
return on investment for improving response time.

> 3. how do you set target response times for them.

I think I would start monitoring them first and go from there.  The SLA should
be stated in terms of the task meeting the target response time X% of the time.

Now I'll have to fess up, I don't have any real world examples of well defined
SLAs.  Most places I've worked the SLAs are far more loosey goosey than I'd
like (if they exist at all).  I also have the advantage of recently attending
one of Cary's seminars.  If you're reading Cary - hope I listened well ;)

So when it comes down to relating your tuning efforts to business performance
targets, I think a well structured SLA will get you there.  If you don't have a
good SLA and therefore find yourself tuning something because someone
complained it's too slow (as I often do) be sure it's something that will make
a difference when it goes faster.  The only measurement I have for those
successes are the frequency of the complaints.

Anyway - hope those ideas help Niall.