hosts file format

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:45:43 +0100

Does anyone here know if the habit of various oracle products to require the
hosts file format to be in the form
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     HOSTNAME.DOMAINNAME  HOSTNAME <any aliases>

reflects an industry standard anywhere. I've come across a large number of
systems now where you find lines like

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     HOSTNAME  HOSTNAME.DOMAINNAME <any aliases>
or
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     HOSTNAME.DOMAINNAME  HOSTNAME
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     <alias1>
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     <alias2>

and so on.

RFC 952 (which admittedly dates from when I was still in full time
education!) doesn't seem to specify the format oracle seems to
prefer/require or even one line per ip address (though that seems sensible
to me).
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA