histograms

This is from a developer.  I'm just trying to help in a timely manner,
so any input or clarifications would be helpful.

JP

"I am strongly under the impression that the default behavior of 10g is
to use the bind variable values provided on the first execution attempt
to determine the execution plan, in the case where those values may
matter (e.g. in the presence of histograms).

So for one query in particular, I did something fairly clever - I
actually know (of the few possible values for the histogrammed column)
which are selective and which are not.  I then issue the query with a
subtle difference (capitalization of one letter) depending on whether a
selective value was chosen or not.  Thus, if a user runs the
non-selective version, Oracle should give them a different execution
plan.  By this cleverness, I should be guaranteed that the plan that is
used when a selective value is chosen, is the plan that was first
developed when a selective value was

first sent.   But that's what I'm complaining about below - the plan
it's

using is appropriate for a non-selective value, so it's as if

a) It didn't use the bound values in determining the plan

b) The histogram wasn't available when it determined the plan I've even
tried "alter system flush shared_pool" to force the regeneration of the
plan, and that doesn't seem to work.  That also seems to rule out

b) above, because I can run queries without bind variables that
definitely are sensitive to the histogram."