From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:11 AM
To: ricks12345@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: help with a monthly rollup

There is a pre-defined function for that, but quite often I find that
the business period months that a business wants to use differ from the
calendar months used by the built in functions. So before you build a
lot of rollup queries, you might want to consider storing defined period
boundaries by name. That will add another table to all your joins, but
it should be of little cost (especially if you resolve it as just the
boundary time columns for the single row you need with an inline view or
select the boundaries into  PL/SQL variables or other program variables
depending on the tools you are using to build your reports).

That design will also make all your rollup queries directly re-usable
for other rollup periods by simply defining and using a different rollup
period in the table. So your queries might be parameterized with period
names such as '2008M01' for January 2008 and '2008Q01' for the first
quarter of 2008.

Regards,

mwf