heavyweight OS monitoring as standard

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 13:54:26 -0400

I'm at Collaborate right now, and we just finished the RAC SIG
bird-of-a-feather session (it's a group discussion, and was quite good).
Had an interesting point come up - we were discussing troubleshooting
and asked how many people ran OSW as a standard practice on their
clusters. (Metalink note 301137.1) I think about half the room raised
their hands.

OSW is also included in RACDDT. (Metalink note 301138.1)  And there's
also a new tool from Oracle called IPD which seems to gather similar
information into a little Berkeley DB (running processes, runqueues, etc):
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/ipd_download_homepage.html

How many people on this list install OSW as a standard practice on their
database servers? Do you install some other heavy-weight monitoring tool
as a standard? I always thought that most people only installed
light-weight monitoring tools by default, would only install something
like OSW and if there were problems since it captures so much data. But
maybe this should become a standard practice for us; it would make
troubleshooting machine crashes after the fact a *lot* easier.

Any thoughts?

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider