Re: global sequence as unique identifier across multiple databases

  • From: "Gints Plivna" <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:49:41 +0300

One of the scenarios is to simply start sequence with increasing (+1)
value for each system and use increment by (total count of systems +
some overhead for future systems).
So for example you have 3 dbs, the sequences for each system would be as follows
create sequence seq start with 1 increment by 10;
create sequence seq start with 2 increment by 10;
create sequence seq start with 3 increment by 10;

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu

2007/7/18, Paula Stankus <paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx>:
Guys,

We are working with 8i and 10g databases and a plan to migration to 10g.  We
have a number of various systems that must generate a unique identifier
across many different databases.  Instead of using one sequence with
database links, we think it is best to eliminate a single-point-of-failure
and to avoid performance issues by breaking up the sequence into ranges.
The range would be assigned to a database instance and multiple related
applications housed in that one database instance would use that range of
sequence numbers.  Our concerns with this approach are running out of
sequence numbers faster.  Eventually all of these systems feed a mainframe
system that requires a unique transaction i.d. for financial processing.
That transaction field on the mainframe IMS databases can not be larger than
9 digits because there is a moratorium on development on the mainframe
system.

Does anyone have advice on handling a sequence across multiple databases for
an entire enterprise?

Thanks in advance.
Paula

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on,
when.