RE: getting rid of copies of archivelogs

  • From: Claudia Zeiler <czeiler@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>, "David A. Barbour" <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:14:25 -0700

I need to clarify.

Since I delete the input when I backup the archive logs

 backup  archivelog all not backed up delete all  input format
'/d123/backup/arch_%d_%u_%s';

the problem files are not archive logs, but copies of them. The archive logs
have been deleted.  These copies are copied off to tape each night, so I don't
want them on disk the next day.  I especially don't need them on disk a week or
two later!
All of my rman commands seem to address the original archive logs, not these
copies of archive logs.  That is why I am coming to wonder if the COPIES of the
archivelogs on /d123 may not be rman files at all, and can be cleared out with
a simple 'rm'?    Of course, I have removed them with an 'rm', but I am worried
that they still may be listed somehow in rman.

Thank you in advance to any clarification that you can give.

Claudia Zeiler
ECWise Database Administrator