Re: flashback a physical standby database

  • From: steve montgomerie <stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:11:32 -0400

A much belated follow up and thanks for all that posted suggestions.
Maybe a better description might help
On Friday an opps on a table - bad update
On Monday the error is caught and we can't flashback the table
So can I open the standby and then flash it back to Friday?
Although that would be cool the answer I found is no. The standby can't be
in sustained recovery and in flashback mode at the same time. Flashnack logs
are not propgated through DG so the standby has nothing to flashback with.
I understand the bit about opening the standby, creating restore point, test
and flashback but that would not
work in my case as I wanted to flashback to a previous point in time where
flashback was not enabled.
Anyhow, if anything I can serve as a warning beacon to others. What I did in
the heat of the momeent
was to use rman to duplicate database to previous PIT and use the skip
tablespace option which seemed like a good idea at the time. What I now know
is that RMAN does this duplicate database restoring / recovering all
database files and then
opens up to drop the tablespaces that I provided in the skip tablespace
clause. - dooh doooh dooooooh! Why would it even bother to restore/recover
files that I told it to skip? Stooooopid RMAN.
What I should have done was copy system, undo, desired TS to another server
and then did PIT recovery on a smaller subset of the data. In that way my
restore would have involved 100G instead of the 600G and not taken 5 hours.
Anyway, thanks for the all posts. The bit about using Flashback on standby
for testing will come in super handy for me in the future.
All the best
Steve