RE: filesystemio_options setting

  • From: "Herring Dave - dherri" <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <john40855@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 06:50:32 -0500

We ran into a related problem on RHEL 4 and 10.2.0.2.  After changing from
ASYNCH to SETALL, after some amount of time CTAS statements were dragging along
at 50 MB/s.  After changing back to ASYNCH the same statements ran at 400 MB/s.
 Changing back again to SETALL caused those same statements, after running for
x amount of time, to gradually drop again to 50 MB/s.

I've never had time to fully investigate this, so I can't say for sure that
SETALL was the culprit but it sure seemed that way after a few, basic tests.
This behavior is opposite of what I would have expected, as it seemed that the
addition of DIRECTIO seemed to slowly fill up something, killing throughput.
Yet DIRECTIO should be bypassing filesystem cache so it shouldn't be affected
by any memory-related setting.  Trying to explain this now has me REALLY
curious as to what was happening.  Great, more work!

Dave

Dave Herring, DBA |   A c x i o m  M I C S / C S O
630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax