Re: export a windows database from linux

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:40:54 +0200

Some days ago I found that I always HAVE to follow metalink
Note:132904.1. Particularly the sentence "Always use a version of the
EXPORT utility that is equal to the lowest version of either the
source or the target database."
I.e. I had 9.2.0.5. export file from Aix that I tried to import to
9.2.0.4 on Linux dying with nasty error
IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1882 encountered
ORA-01882: timezone region  not found
IMP-00009: abnormal end of export file
IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully
After more than day investigation whether file transfer was ok etc etc
it came out that the only problem is difference in db versions
(respectively in export and import versions as well). After target db
upgrade to 9.2.0.5. all went perfectly.

About NLS settings - don't know theoretical details but from practise
I know that sometimes one cannot insert specific symbols (for example
symbols with macrons and acutes) from non-UTF charsets (i.e. one byte
charsets) into UTF charsets if tables are defined like varchar2(X). In
one byte charsets specific symbols take one byte but in UTF versions
they can take more, so there is possibility that total number of
bytes in a column in UTF charset is more than X. In such cases one has
to precreate tables and define columns like varchar2(x char), it means
that x characters could be stored, not x bytes.

If I remember correctly there were some topics about different
charsets including UTF in this list some time ago.

Gints