Re: emcli

  • From: Gerry Miller <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Robert Hanuschke <robert.hanuschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 20:16:10 +1000

 Hi Robert,

Funny you should say that as that is exactly what I did:
   echo 1
   emctl start blackout Blackout_xxx_Maint -nodeLevel xxx.glk.xxx.int:host
echo 2   emctl stop agent   echo3
but didn't mention it in order to not complicate things.  The first echo
worked but that was it.
Thanks

Gerry

Robert Hanuschke wrote: Hi Gerry,
should work generally. Obviously the environment is set correctly, the
blackout creation works. Have you tried adding echo commands to see if the
execution gets that far? so:
emctl start blackout Blackout_xxx_Maint -nodeLevel xxx.glk.xxx.int:host echo
one emctl stop agent echo two

Best regards, Robert http://robertvsoracle.blogspot.com[1]

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM, Gerry Miller <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[2]>
wrote:
Hi Robert

It is a windows batch script is and is as follows:
    emctl start blackout Blackout_xxx_Maint -nodeLevel xxx.glk.xxx.int:host
    emctl stop agent

and the output:
    emctl start blackout Blackout_xxx_Maint -nodeLevel xxx.glk.xxx.int:host
    Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control 12.1.0.1.0
    Copyright (c) 1996, 2012 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    Blackout Blackout_xxx_Maint added successfully
    EMD reload completed successfully

Executing 'emctl status agent' shows that the agent is still running.

Regards

Gerry

Robert Hanuschke wrote: Hi Gerry, we have to separate here between emcli and
emctl. emcli ... is a standalone command line interface that you can install
e.g. on your desktop pc without having any other kind of oracle software
there. you can control your whole environment using it. lots of things (by
far not all but a very useful subset of functionalities) that can be done in
the web console can also be done via the emcli, affecting lots of targets.
emtcl ... is part of the enterprise manager agent, so will typically reside
on your database server. you can only control targets that reside on the
samemachine as the agent. limited functionality compared to the emcli, but
itcomes with every agent and you don't have to configure it specifically.
theemcli "talks" to the oms and commands it to execute whatever you told it
to. emctl "talks" to the oms via uploading xml and dat files. the oms loader
processes read those files and execute whatever you told emctl to do. you
cantest that by going to $AGENT_HOME/sysman/emd/upload and issuing "watch -n
1 'ls -ltrh | tail' (assuming you do have a linux environment somewhere) in
one window and creating a blackout for a target in another one. you'll see
the the files being created for that task for a very brief time, they get
uploaded instantly after creation. about the other question: may I see the
script or the relevant parts of it? never had an issue like that. Best
regards, Robert http://robertvsoracle.blogspot.com[3] On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at
1:19 AM, Gerry Miller <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[4]wrote: ** Hi Robert
Thanks for that. Good point. I was assuming that because tables such as
EM_BLACKOUT were updated that it was happening from the emcli command, but
now realise that it is the agent that performs these database transactions.
Or I am I assuming erroneously again? Another question along the same lines:
I am trying to execute two emctl commands sequentially within a windows
batchscript, namely to create an immediate blackout and then stop the agent,
but find that the script exits after the first command. The emcli command
hasa parameter, 'argfile', that overcomes this but I can't find an
equivalentin emctl. Is there any way of doing this? Thanks and Regards Gerry
Robert Hanuschke wrote: Hi Gerry, a note on the redundancy part: It is not
redundant. The emcli does in no way use any of the rdbms binaries, let alone
anything inside the database itself. You can install an emcli on any
computerin your network and use it to create a blackout on a database that
runs on another computer/server. So have no worries doing it as OS process -
in fact, that would be LESS redundant. A hint from my experience in using
emcli in scripts: Be sure to to set the JAVA_HOME variable (to the correct
java version directory) and put that one into the PATH as well before
actually calling the emcli. Most of the errors I've seen and fixed had to do
with those two environment variables. Best regards,
Roberthttp://robertvsoracle.blogspot.com[5] On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 1:50 AM,
Gerry Miller <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[6]
<gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[7]wrote: Hi, I am looking for way to create a
blackout in EM 12c Cloud Control from within the database. I am currently
doing it using a perl script but am having problems running it as a
scheduledtask on windows. I am thinking of using Java or external procedures
but would much prefer to run the whole thing from within. It seems redundant
to have a database procedure that calls an OS script that calls the
database.Any suggestions welcome. Regards Gerry Miller
--//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l[8]
--//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l[9] --
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l[10]

--- Links ---