duplicate database and opatch lsinventory

Duplicate database and active duplicate database in 11g  is becoming more
common as a means of cloning an Oracle database.
However I have been thinking about how that affects patch levels and the
inventory.

A patch can have 3 effects
1) Modify a binary
2) Modify the data dictionary
3) Both

If a db duplicate script is run then a db containing a patch of type 1or 3 will
be potentially out of sync if it has moved to a new Oracle home
The opatch lsinventory output from each binary would be different where a
change of type 2 had been applied and yet the databases and binaries would be
identical.

I know the answer is to have documented procedures which define the patch
levels run against every installation but I am wondering how other people are
managing this issue.

John

John Hallas
Oracle DBA
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC
Tel 0845 611 4589 Mob: 07876 790540
E-mail: john.hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The
registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West
Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to
the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely
on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for
anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to
accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into
any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are
virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.