Re: does FRA is really needed ?

  • From: Grzegorz Goryszewski <grzegorzof@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:11:33 +0100

Alex Gorbachev pisze:
Just two things to mention:

- can have FRA but you don't have to backup your datafiles there or
even put your archivelogs there. you can manage all of it separately.
FRA is the only destination for flashback logs but that's it. Is
flashback logs what you need to restore quickly (i.e. without
rebuilding of the new standby) after switchover. You need to flashback
the database and flashback logs can only be stored in FRA. Thus, FRA
requirements but in fact it's enabled flashback logging that's
required. Am I right?
I didnt know that. Can You elaborate ?  :)
I cant imagine how its suppose to work, never tried to unset archive_log_destination_10 which in FRA configuration points to FRA. Moreover as far as I know the only way to backup FRA is via SBT channel .
- Consider incrementally updated standby where you make often
incremental backups and ship them to standby. It's often the way to go
for DW applications but there is no automation with Data Guard.
Thats great idea I'll investigate that. Looks like some scripts and homegrown solution needed :).

Regards.
Grzegorz

Zobacz >> http://link.interia.pl/f1ca8