Re: does FRA is really needed ?

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grzegorzof@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:50:20 -0500

Just two things to mention:

- can have FRA but you don't have to backup your datafiles there or
even put your archivelogs there. you can manage all of it separately.
FRA is the only destination for flashback logs but that's it. Is
flashback logs what you need to restore quickly (i.e. without
rebuilding of the new standby) after switchover. You need to flashback
the database and flashback logs can only be stored in FRA. Thus, FRA
requirements but in fact it's enabled flashback logging that's
required. Am I right?

- Consider incrementally updated standby where you make often
incremental backups and ship them to standby. It's often the way to go
for DW applications but there is no automation with Data Guard.

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com