Re: does FRA is really needed ?

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grzegorzof@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 07:01:53 -0600

Grzegorz,

Good question, that is something we have been wondering about as well. There
are some other questions that go along with this, I believe.

For instance, are you using a RAC? Seems like an obvious one, but I did not
want to assume (that BAAG party as got to be for something, right?). Second
question, do you currently or plan to use Flashback database? From my
limited experience, these seem to be the key things that "require" an FRA.

To answer you question, dataguard, in and of itself, does not need FRA
whatsoever. In fact, DG and RAC are two completely separate technologies,
used to achieve a single goal (Maximum Availability).

In our RAC environment, we do not currently have need of an FRA; we
implemented the Flashback Recovery Area as part of the "Best Practices", but
for us, it is a real pain dealing with archive log gaps (both for physical
standbys and streams). And we have chosen, at this point, to avoid the
dataguard broker as well. These are choices we have made for our particular
environment and may not be well suited for everyone. We are still learning
things about RAC, FRA and the broker, so there is still a chance our
environment may change a little.

If anyone finds holes this, please let me know. =)

--
Charles Schultz